Maverick23

A Rubicon build story

Thanks for your input chaps ... sage words from experience no doubt :great:

And yes, Glyn ... I would love a V8 ... but maybe not via that route ... and unlikely to be soon ... just too expensive ... but still a dream :sleep:

A FEW MORE "Bits & Bobs"

My Rubicon spent a nice day with Alex at Buzz Racing ... while I toured the local area on foot ... here's what happened to the truck:

1. Rigid Industries DSS (driving version) lights. Brand new in UK - exclusively imported via Alex himself. They fix to the A pillars / with their own wiring loom and then onto my existing switch pod. Look excellent, but more important they work brilliantly. They are designed to fire forward and sideways in the near field area - the "driving" version also fires to the front mid-range. My existing (mini sun) Lazer T16 tripleR lights up the horizon and go a looong way out ... these new DSS lights fill in (completely) the near field gaps. Really impressive ... will get some night shots at some point.

2. Rock's 4x4 rear drop down shelf. Solid and very strong ... fixed to rear door by 4 nut-serts. Another excellent product.

3. Drake's lockable bonnet hold-downs with black knurls. Cool looking product and also very effective at doing their job - fully adjustable to suit your bonnet and solidly made from metal(s).

4. Nemesis EVAP relocation bracket. Impressive item you will never see - unless you happen to under the vehicle. Relocates the EVAP canister to a protected position above the rear diff AND gets it out of the way of my next little project. Everything you need is in then kit ... except Nemesis changed the design slightly, but didn't issue new install instructions ... luckily Alex & Arthur sorted it out between them. (no pics of this bit - it sort of disappears).

Really happy with everything. Alex sources these items himself and personally imports the products he thinks we will need/want ... and then ofcourse he has the expertise to fit them all .. properly :great: He also took the time to sort out a few "loose items" and poor fitments. I wish I had know about him a bit earlier in my build ... but that is another story, possibly for another day ... possibly not.

So massive "thank you" to Alex ... keep up the good work :glasses:

Looking good- I have noticed that Alex seems to be becoming very popular!

Thanks for your input chaps ... sage words from experience no doubt :great:

And yes, Glyn ... I would love a V8 ... but maybe not via that route ... and unlikely to be soon ... just too expensive ... but still a dream :sleep:

A FEW MORE "Bits & Bobs"

My Rubicon spent a nice day with Alex at Buzz Racing ... while I toured the local area on foot ... here's what happened to the truck:

1. Rigid Industries DSS (driving version) lights. Brand new in UK - exclusively imported via Alex himself. They fix to the A pillars / with their own wiring loom and then onto my existing switch pod. Look excellent, but more important they work brilliantly. They are designed to fire forward and sideways in the near field area - the "driving" version also fires to the front mid-range. My existing (mini sun) Lazer T16 tripleR lights up the horizon and go a looong way out ... these new DSS lights fill in (completely) the near field gaps. Really impressive ... will get some night shots at some point.

Would be interested to see the pictures of the lights working, wonder what they are like from the inside the cabin and if the put much glare onto the hood.

Loving the 2 systems from those guys the Trailhawk Cherokee is just right for the type of Vehicle! When you step on it! With light throttle is very quite but at least now you hear the gear changes on that 9 speed box! ! The JK on the other hand purrs at idle also with the air intake sucking down the Snorkel via the Pre-Filter Assembly when you step on it you know about it!!

Going to send you a PM. Want to see that snorkel set up

Thanks chaps :great:

I have had 2 Hayward & Scott (H&S) exhausts now. The first one went to another JOC member and is in the "loud" category. My second one - with twin pipes this time AND done because I need a little more room down there - is much quieter ... but it still says hello when you go for it :glasses:

My next project should be done at end of January ... the major part is on a paddle steamer from Australia.

Will post some more light pics after weekend ... they are adjustable to some extent, so reflection off the bonnet can be dialed back - unlikely to be eradicated altogether ... part of being fixed to the A pillar (I guess).

PS you guys do seem to have a bit of a mud fetish :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks chaps :great:

I have had 2 Hayward & Scott (H&S) exhausts now. The first one went to another JOC member and is in the "loud" category. My second one - with twin pipes this time AND done because I need a little more room down there - is much quieter ... but it still says hello when you go for it :glasses:

My next project should be done at end of January ... the major part is on a paddle steamer from Australia.

Will post some more light pics after weekend ... they are adjustable to some extent, so reflection off the bonnet can be dialed back - unlikely to be eradicated altogether ... part of being fixed to the A pillar (I guess).

PS you guys do seem to have a bit of a mud fetish :icon_jokercolor:

LONG RANGE FUEL TANK ON THE WAY!!!!

Would be interested to see the pictures of the lights working, wonder what they are like from the inside the cabin and if the put much glare onto the hood.

Pictures taken at dusk ... but hopefully shows what the new lights can do:

PIC 1 = headlights (not main beam)

PIC 2 = add the DSS lights

PIC 3 = add the main beam ... not sure that helped :scratch:

PIC 4 = add the T16r ... long range illumination

PIC 5 = shot from Rigid Industries - I didn't have a big enough ladder myself

Hope that helps ~ it is certainly like daylight in the near & middle range with the new (DSS) lights ... and not very much light bouncing off the bonnet ... add the T16r for a view up ahead :glasses:

PS I did take a picture from inside the cab ... but the flash just gave me a lot of reflection of the glass ie it didn't really work ...

IMG_1274.thumb.JPG.2a8706ef9805017503db28e55cea3fdd.JPG

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.3a8e826a89e6fb42e3606279c8098e57.JPG

IMG_1276.thumb.JPG.ce865fd530a9e55dab06293138ba2762.JPG

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.dfdd8464fb1ac23d0aa6df178c106ea4.JPG

DSS_Driving_Comparison.thumb.jpg.f6e4d46a95b44054d771ad6694416165.jpg

Great Pictures Kerry... i really need to do the same with some of the other Rigid Range! Thanks for taking the time to do this......

Also for anyone interested we will have these products in stock again very soon. The first ones sold out straight away.

Thanks!

LONG RANGE FUEL TANK ON THE WAY!!!!

Quick update:

Unfortunately the LRFT got lost on the high seas and that project is now on the back-burner for a while ...

A few pics of my second H&S exhaust (thanks again Ian) ... which I maybe didn't need afterall ... but luckily, I do quite like it :glasses:

DSC03992.thumb.JPG.f60630673dee780ebe68b35a01205703.JPG

DSC03993.thumb.JPG.d6e5b648e0186324cf9b6cacbdc4e1b3.JPG

IMG_1243_2.thumb.JPG.6c4672190572b07ae7358a81a1a4fc64.JPG

Lost at sea... you need to tell us all about that on another occasion!

Personally I am not a fan of the double exhaust, but I have to admit it does not good.

Looking forward to see where this build is heading next.

Hugo

I will have one of those exhausts .......in Matt black please.

Send me the details Kerry. :great:

Dual outputs look best I think on the JK

I will have one of those exhausts .......in Matt black please.

Send me the details Kerry. :great:

Dual outputs look best I think on the JK

Hi Jules.

You need to contact Ian at Hayward & Scott (Basildon 01268 727256). A number of members have their exhausts, including Stewart and Jim (where it all started ... possibly?). They offer an excellent bespoke service. I'm sure black tail pipes would be possible. Please mention JOC ... I'm trying to persuade him we are worth looking after.

PS my second version - the twin tips - provides a simple straight pipe all the way to the rear, where a discreet centre muffler is added. It is quite civilised noise wise ... whereas my first version was a bit of a hooligan :glasses:

Hi jules, i sent one of my customers there.. he had twin pipes and had them done in matte black as well...

Absolutely brutal sound from his so make sure you explain how loud you want it :DDDD

Gotta love it loud...

Went to Isle of wight a few years ago and popped into a shop, I left the engine running and someone in the car, but when i got back, only 5mins or so, the neighbour across the street came out to complain- oops. My own fault but did make me chuckle..

This is on a TJ, way before the JK was a twinkle in Dads eye!

New REAR lights

1. JW Speaker 279 led light cluster. Purchased from Buzz Racing http://buzzracing.co.uk/home/80-jw-speaker-279-led-tail-lights.html and fitted by me :icon_geek:

2. RL69 led rear fogs. Purchased from Car Builder Solutions http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/grommet-mount-led-compact-rear-fog-145mm and installed by Alex at Buzz.

Really big change to my rear lighting. The move to LED improves light output significantly and let’s face it … they look really cool. Simple to change over light cluster – a bit of messing around with external resistors (to cope with lower voltage load of LEDs) – just undo a couple of screws on each side, disconnect connector from old lights, connect to new ones, pop into existing opening, re-tighten screws and VOILA … new lights … that work :glasses:

Install of rear fogs is not for the faint-hearted. Because this version are recessed, you need to cut into your bumper … which in my case is steel … and you really need to remove that bumper to do the job properly and safely. Indeed it is best to install these fogs BEFORE you install a new bumper … however, too late for me to take my own advice. Luckily I have Alex to call on …

The main reason for my visit to Buzz – and I left the Rubi with him for 2 days this time – was for them to carry out some serious remedial work that my truck needed. Basically I needed to have the whole rear bumper & tyre carrier assembly removed and refitted properly. It was poorly done first time and as it transpired some key parts were missing. The “silver lining” was that, with the bumper off, I had an opportunity to fit my new rear fogs at the same time … and quite frankly the old ones were rather poor (and also poorly fitted).

I know there are other “highly recommended” providers on JOC, but I really cannot praise Buzz Racing highly enough. Alex (and Arthur) are experienced and skilled mechanics, often working out engineering solutions to tricky problems if (and as) they arise, and their approach is always methodical & professional. So if you want a job done right … do give them a try. Alex is more than happy talk “Jeep” and to discuss any future needs/wants … and a big plus for me is the fact they are located in SE England.  :great: :great:

Rear_lights_day.thumb.JPG.0b9ae54996745f53dc7774cfe2dee41b.JPG

Rear_lights_night.thumb.JPG.1d9b39756a44513c675c325415e437ea.JPG

Looking good Kerry,

How do you find the number plate location. Is it holding up as I might put mine there on the next build

Thanks Neal :great:

Really happy with the rear number plate location. It is out of the way there and although theoretically vulnerable off-road, it would have to be a pretty severe situation - among big rocks possibly - for any actual damage to occur.

Looking forward to seeing how your new (blue) Rubicon develops Neal ... the door sill guards are a start :glasses:

Kerry,

How are the number plate lights holding up, not broken any yet?

Thanks on the build, got to start somewhere looking at Sat nav at the moment and laughing at people's install costs  :scratch:

It's all good at the back Neal ... that part of my AEV bumper set-up has been fine since day one ... have probably jinxed it now :mdr:

Re: Sat Nav ~ I use maps and my mobile in emergencies (for which I now have a very good dash mount).

Have never been able to justify the cost of an installed system. But that's probably just me being a luddite :icon_geek:

It's all good at the back Neal ... that part of my AEV bumper set-up has been fine since day one ... have probably jinxed it now :mdr:

Re: Sat Nav ~ I use maps and my mobile in emergencies (for which I now have a very good dash mount).

Have never been able to justify the cost of an installed system. But that's probably just me being a luddite :icon_geek:

Good to hear on the number plate lights.

I too like maps, but I also like my Satnav and DAB radio, which I miss from the red one  :icon_rr:

Posted (edited)

JKUR2016 - FIRST MOT

Not posted “here” for quite a while ... sometimes life is like that ... and I couldn’t work out how to create a new post 😳

So anyway ...

it passed 👍

no advisories 👍👍

Happy chap 😃

Edited by Maverick23
  • Thanks 1

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:36, Maverick23 said:

JKUR2016 - FIRST MOT

Not posted “here” for quite a while ... sometimes life is like that ... and I couldn’t work out how to create a new post 😳

So anyway ...

it passed 👍

no advisories 👍👍

Happy chap 😃

Good to hear Kerry.

I thought you'd given up on the forum and taken to facebook after all.....! 😂😨

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TimC said:

Good to hear Kerry.

I thought you'd given up on the forum and taken to facebook after all.....! 😂😨

Hi Tim

When I said “here” ... I meant my own Jeep build thread 😃

Have been fairly quiet on JOC of late ... but have made a few posts. Tbh I am still trying to get used to the new “forum’s ways” ... not being able to find how to create a new thread (on my mobile) is a bit sad ... so the chances of me getting on to Facebook are still remote 😎

JOC is still my only forum‼️

Edited by Maverick23

56 minutes ago, Maverick23 said:

Hi Tim

When I said “here” ... I meant my own Jeep build thread 😃

Have been fairly quiet on JOC of late ... but have made a few posts. Tbh I am still trying to get used to the new “forum’s ways” ... not being able to find how to create a new thread (on my mobile) is a bit sad ... so the chances of me getting on to Facebook are still remote 😎

JOC is still my only forum‼️

One is all you need eh Kerry........🤙 😉