V

Stalling an automatic on an off road hill climb

It's not something that happens often, but it is possible to stall an automatic on an off road hill climb. In this situation you need to be able to react quickly to get into reverse gear to move back down the hill before getting into a slide and a rollover.

I was really surprised to find the Jeep JL Wrangler has this ridiculous feature for automatically engaging park when the engine rpm is zero. If this happens on a steep hill the JL auto transmission is likely to lock up when you least want it to. I can't believe that this 'feature' is in a Wrangler. I usually prefer automatic transmission for off roading but I would seriously think twice about off roading an automatic vehicle that behaves counter intuitively to other automatic off roaders. If the manual park override can be engaged before off roading and left in that mode, then this isn't a problem unless you are not aware of it. Perhaps Jeep can clarify if the automatic park override can be left engaged permanently.

Posted (edited)

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who occasionally reverses by looking behind through the open driver's door.  I had an Alfa Giulia press car for a while that would let you move a few metres before slamming it violently into Park.  I think it did the same if you started moving without the driver's seat belt engaged.

I imagine it's a series of FCA-wide features rolled out after poor Anton Yelchin ran himself over with his own Grand Cherokee, but while I found it unnecessarily annoying, I imagine the transmission found it even worse.

Vince, I know you favour the technique of removing your seat belt to lean out of the driver's window for a better view, something Jeep UK themselves used to teach.  In a JL, I imagine that is now impossible.

Edited by AlexK

I also prefer to lean out of the open drivers window when reversing, although I did pick up this habit from driving vans.

As I have never had a car with rear reversing cameras, just how easy, or difficult is it to reverse purely using the cameras? 

1 hour ago, AlexK said:

Vince, I know you favour the technique of removing your seat belt to lean out of the driver's window for a better view, something Jeep UK themselves used to teach.  In a JL, I imagine that is now impossible.

Really? Disengaging the seat belt might do more than just set off the chimes? Or will my butt lifting off the driver's seat shut off the engine like on my lawnmower?

2 hours ago, V said:

Really? Disengaging the seat belt might do more than just set off the chimes? Or will my butt lifting off the driver's seat shut off the engine like on my lawnmower?

Might do. Difficult to say what safety package we’ll get over here, but I reckon it’s safe to say door open = auto park. Sometimes buckling the seat belt behind you is enough to fool it, unless it’s backed up by an occupancy sensor. Guess we’ll find out in a couple of months.

13 hours ago, V said:

Curiosity got to me so I read the manual.  With the doors off and the seat belt unbuckled, if you lift your butt off the seat it will automatically go into Park.  If your JL has keyless entry, it will even turn the engine off.  Apparently, it's happy to do this at any speed up to 12mph!

On the positive side, this behaviour is apparently disabled in 4Lo.

Wow! The parking pawl won't shear off when engaged at 11mph, that's amazing for such a heavy vehicle.

Posted (edited)

Jim asks :- "As I have never had a car with rear reversing cameras, just how easy, or difficult is it to reverse purely using the cameras? "

It's very easy with a little practice, and using the wing mirrors as well. On the WK2, you can see vertically down, which lets you know when you reach the edge of a marked bay (essential to avoid fines in some cities) or have 5cm clearance from a wall, etc. The wide angle lens lets you see cars coming from the side when backing out in a car park, too.

I'd really like one at the front when off road; I think new Land Cruisers have that feature.

The 'engage Park when the door opens' is really annoying, and I got the scraped bumpers to prove it when using a very tight private car park. The windows on every model since the ZJ are too high to be able to lean out and watch where the wheels are, at least for someone as short as me.

Edited by Gerald F

I found this Tazer JL gadget. It doesn't yet disable the automatic selection of park but it does a lot of other useful stuff that really should be end user customisable from the factory.

On 18/08/2018 at 20:34, V said:

I found this Tazer JL gadget. It doesn't yet disable the automatic selection of park but it does a lot of other useful stuff that really should be end user customisable from the factory.

Good find Vince 

On 22/08/2018 at 16:58, Stew the Jeep said:

Acquire a spare seat belt buckle

This is exactly the sort of unintended consequence of badly thought out 'safety' modifications. I suspect many such modifications are more focused on reducing corporate liability / reputation damage than to actually prevent death or injury.

Steve.

Just spotted this thread. What a ridiculous feature??? Getting the park pawl out on a steep highway is bad enough. This thread and others regarding costs and features shows that the wrangler in the EU at least, is no longer marketed at serious off-roaders. But then I suppose that viable market is commercial anyway, and they are buying Jap pick-ups like I used to, for VAT and AIA purposes.