Surfer

Towing with 2012 Jeep GC Overland?

Surfer

Last October we had a tow bar and electrics fitted to our Jeep by an Inde in Worcester.  He has a good reputation and we have used him previously.  When we have the trailer connected to the vehicle all the lights on the vehicle and the trailer work. 

I seem to recall that last year there was a chime when using the indicators when towing, but this year the chime is intermittent and on occasions will only sound for maybe 3-4 flickers and then stop and all you can hear is a loud clicking noise.  In January 2019 the fitter had to change the socket on the vehicle.  When solo without a trailer hardly any noise when using the indicators.

However it is my understanding that when the indicators are used there should be a chime to correspond with the indicator flicking or does the chime only sound when there is an issue?  Please enlighten me.

Gerald F

I put a comment on LazyFerret's post about this. No sound on ours, at all. I have a feeling it is a requirement, but it was dealer fitted, using an FCA supplied wiring kit. The MOT includes a check of the towing electrics if you have the 13 pin connector, and our 2015 GC Overland has passed twice, at different testing stations. Almost all our towing is done abroad, so we haven't worried too much about it, and we are very careful about checking all the connections work every time we hitch up.

When connected, the car rear fog lamps are disabled, but the rear parking sensors aren't, which I thought they should have been. I'm also not sure if the "sway control" feature of the ESP is automatically enabled, or if it is only available when the towing pack is fitted at manufacture. Does anyone know about this, please?

LazyFerret

I had this on my last car. To start with, it would only do it if the indicators had been on for a while, but as time went on, it got worse, till, like yours, it would beep 3 or 4 times, then do funny short blips. In my case, I cleaned up the socket contacts, as it had been a bit abused off-roading, and that seemed to cure it, so might be worth checking the terminals on the car and trailer.

A clue on mine, was it did it worse on one side, than the other.

Other than that, if all the lights seem fine, it might just be the sounder is packing up in the relay unit.

Surfer

Technician came today and found that the buzzer had gone faulty and replaced it.  Also rewired the dashcam so that it switches off when the ignition is turned off something Halford said they could not do as the fuse box is inside the engine compartment and they are not allowed to wire it through the bulkhead to the fusebox.  Halfords wired it to the 12v in the centre console where you would store CDs etc (not the front one under the Satnav/radio)

LazyFerret
10 hours ago, Surfer said:

Technician came today and found that the buzzer had gone faulty and replaced it.  Also rewired the dashcam so that it switches off when the ignition is turned off something Halford said they could not do as the fuse box is inside the engine compartment and they are not allowed to wire it through the bulkhead to the fusebox.  Halfords wired it to the 12v in the centre console where you would store CDs etc (not the front one under the Satnav/radio)

Result...